Here are some questions that your district should answer when considering a 1:1 program:
- Does the district have enough bandwidth and wireless access points to service all of these devices?
- Do you have a location to store and charge all of the devices?
- Do you have technology professional development or in-district educators that will assist teachers with their integration?
Teaching & Learning
- What does your ideal learning environment look like? What will teachers and students be doing in the classroom?
- How will students become content creators and break down the walls of the classroom by using these devices?
- How will teachers redefine learning within the classroom?
- What is the price point for the device?
- How is the district paying for the devices – lease program, cost to families or employees, outright payment?
- Is cost more important than the device?
- Will you purchase insurance for the devices? If not, how will you pay for breakage, damage, or lost devices?
The above questions should assist with your decision to forge ahead with a 1:1 or other mobile technology integration. Students are surrounded by technology and should not be asked to power down for a third of their day while they are in school.